Indecision never tasted so good.
Decision fatigue is real, folks. There are only so many decisions we humans can make in a day, and our ability to make them declines as the clock ticks by. No wonder Obama wore the same suit every day during his presidency; we can't waste our limited mental power on silly things like dress shirts and ties. And muffins are no exception.
As I searched for recipes on Pinterest to satisfy a serious craving for baked goods, I found myself torn between pumpkin muffins and cinnamon buns. I was incapable of choosing between the two. Maybe I made one too many decisions earlier in the day (like deciding to snooze my alarm or choosing between hot or iced matcha) but whatever the reason, I surrendered and settled for both.
These muffins are grain free, dairy free, AND sugar free. The cinnamon swirl adds a touch of sweetness, and the pumpkin coconut combo never disappoints. Special shout out to my unwavering decision fatigue for this combo, can't wait to see what it comes up with next.
PUMPKIN CINNAMON BUN MUFFINS
Yields 12 muffins
For the muffins:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the topping:
- 2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, coconut milk, and pumpkin puree.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and blend well by hand or with a mixer.
- Fill muffin liners about 1/4 of the way with batter.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of topping over each muffin and then top off with more batter, about 3/4 of the way filled.
- Drizzle the remaining topping over each muffin and use a toothpick, fork, or spoon to blend the topping into the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy! Store for a few days at room temperature, store in the fridge for a few weeks, or freeze for a few months.